This is a recipe I created for Calgary Co-op
It’s been a little while since I posted a new recipe on the blog.. Creating my online vegan cooking school has taken most of time these past few months – it’s been fun to create it but also very intense!
I am happy to have time once again to create new recipes!
This recipe is a great way to use up veggies you have in the fridge/freezer – check out the notes below for substitutions and topping ideas!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
(Gluten free optional)
- 4 medium carrots*, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ lb (227 grams) dry pasta** of choice
- 1 cup green peas, plus a handful for garnish
- A handful of chopped cilantro and/or chives
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice
*You can substitute the carrots with 2 cups of cauliflower florets, or 1 medium yam, diced.
**Use gluten-free pasta for a gluten free option (I like brown rice pastas, but there are many options these days)
- Place carrots, onion, garlic, and 3 cups water in a medium pot.
- Bring to a boil, then cook on medium-high heat for 15 minutes.
- Transfer pot content (including the liquid) into a blender.
- Add coconut milk, nutritional yeast, curry powder, salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
- Blend into a creamy consistency.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Drain well.
- Combine cooked pasta, 1 cup of green peas, and sauce.
- Mix well.
- Cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Garnish with green peas and chopped cilantro/chives.
- To serve, squeeze a bit of lemon juice on top!
Got other veggies you want to use up in the fridge/freezer? You can top this dish with steamed broccoli, sautéed mushrooms or bell peppers.
If the sauce looks too runny; once you mix the pasta with the sauce, set it aside to allow the pasta to soak some of the sauce, then heat up and serve.
View this post on Instagram
Making this recipe? I’d love to see your creation! Send me a photo or tag Roni’s Kitchen on social media ?