Photo by Hannah Burne
An earthy, grounding vegan broth – wild chaga, miso, mushrooms, nettles, vegetables, herbs & spices simmered to perfection ?
Rich with minerals, it is great for building blood and supporting the immune system.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours
Makes 9 cups
- 12 cups water
- 1 onion, cut into quarters
- 4 celery sticks, diced (use the leaves as well if possible)
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups button mushrooms, cut in half
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch parsley (including the stems)
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup dried nettles
- 1/4 cup chaga tea
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder/roughly chopped fresh turmeric
- 1/2 cup miso paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
Place all of the ingredients, except for the miso and lemon juice, into a large pot.
Cover with a lid and simmer for 4 hours.
After 4 hours, remove from the heat and strain into another large pot through a fine sieve.
Add the miso and lemon juice and mix well.
If you use organic vegetables and wash them well, you can leave the skin on the onion, carrots, ginger, and garlic..!
This broth freezes well – you can make a double batch and freeze it in small portions
Making this recipe? I’d love to see your creation! Send me a photo or tag Roni’s Kitchen on social media ?